Sonny is a Partner with the Briggs & Veselka advisory practice since 2018. He specializes in providing client services such as Internal Audit, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), Fraud Risk Assessment, Enterprise Risk Management Programs, Quality Assurance Reviews, and System and Organizations (SOC) Audits. His primary industries include energy services and financial services. Three innovative areas of focus in 2021 include Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG); Ransomware Internal Audits; and Automation/Dashboard Development for Internal Audit and SOX Processes.
Sonny’s experience prior to Briggs & Veselka includes 17 years with Big 4 accounting firms (9 of which at the Partner level), as well as Chief Audit Executive at Burger King and various roles in the banking industry.
Sonny has managed the client relationship for clients ranging from mid-sized private to large public companies. He understands the importance of providing clients with the right combination of technical excellence and industry knowledge. He believes delivering quality services in a timely manner is key to building trust with clients.
- Served on the National Association of Corporate Directors Texas TriCities Chapter (Houston) Advisory Board 2017, 2018
- Served on the board of the Houston Chapter of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) for 10 years
- Presented as a visiting lecturer for the Graduate School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin for 5 years
- Serves as an advisory board member for the University of Houston Bauer College of Business Department of Accountancy and the curriculum committee since 2020
- Served as the President of the Institute of Internal Auditor’s South Florida Chapter
- Served a 2-year term on the Institute of Internal Auditor’s Global Academic Relations Committee
- Author of Ants, Elephants and Dancing Giraffes, a business perspective of lessons learned on a road to a prosperous life
- Certified Public Accountant – Texas
- Certified Fraud Examiner
B.B.A in Accounting from University of Texas – Austin